Monday, February 4, 2008

What music is in YOU?



Added feature this week, This post comes with a Soundtrack!

It took me waaaaaaay too long to figure out how to embed this video into the blog so I'm going to have keep the article short, but I had to figure it out because now i'll be able to add more videos of glory in the future... so it all works out in the end, on to today's post.

Have you ever thought in general how much time people spend listening to music these days?
It seems like everywhere...
While in the car driving, at the gym working out, walking to the mall, riding the bus or in the library studying...














take a minute to think about how much time you spend everyday listening to music, 30 minutes on the drive to work + an hour in the gym, maybe half an hour while you are on your computer...add it all up....
It's probably quite a bit of time..

Have you ever stopped to think about the influence of what you are listening to, and what it IS or ISN'T doing for you?

I like using extreme examples to illustrate my thoughts I find it makes things more clear,

so back to the Jr. high/High school era.
The little OG I wanted to be I use to listen to a lot of rap music, I was big into the whole WESTSIIIIIIIIDE till i die thing so naturally these
are the dudes I idolized...
From left to right meet my hero at the time 2PAC, his side kick snoop doggy dogg, and the infamous Suge Knight, the mastermind behind Deathrow records who Pac and snoop rapped for....

I use to love these guys, anytime I turned on my discman whether I was walking home form school or waiting in line somewhere I would blast the volume and listen to 2pac Shakur dropping beats rapping about how he was fresh out of jail cause he posted bail, drinking crystal, flossin gold chains in the low low, while dropping hits in the studio, chillin with his hoochies with hundred dolla bills in expensive suites or on tha streets cuz he had to hustle to make a dolla outta 15 cents.

Now Some people are more influenced than others, but no matter who you are I believe if you listen to something enough it will usually begin having an influence on you.. maybe small, maybe big - the extent depends on who you are and how emotionally attached you are to what you are listening to.

I was pretty into the whole rap music thing for a while so I bought a few pairs of baggy jeans, cursed a lot and at one point I even considered spending $2000 on a platinum chain to represent.

anywayyyyyyy
I love music and I always will.. I will never stop listening to it.
but I realize how what we listen to can influence us so these days though I divide my listening time between music and educational audio programs.

For me music is enjoyment, its entertainment, its fun... its something to sing along to with friends, to relate to when I'm feeling happy or down, but other than that it really doesn't help me progress much or get better....

I see all that listening time we calculated earlier,like in the car, in the gym, on the computer as an opportunity to grow, to learn new skills to get better....

Think about how much you could learn if you spent just 3 hours a week, (that's just a car ride into work everyday) studying your chosen field through audio programs, you would be listening to fresh ideas and new thoughts. How much better you would become and how much of an edge you would have over the other people in your chosen profession....

The power of the self conscious is amazing, and well documented.

If you spend time filling your mind with educational material there is no way it's not going to have a positive effect on you and your life.




If you don't know where to start check this guy out, Tony Robbins you have probably heard of him before he is just unbelievable. You spend your time listening to him everyday and you'll become a superstar, it's that simple. He's also going to be speaking live in Halifax at the Metro Centre February 26, 2008 if you get a chance get tickets!
other than that search for products relating to your profession there are tons out there!

the glory is in what you listen to..

MEL

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Music does influence us. No one can deny that. When I used to listen to wayy to much NIN I was depressed. Sometimes your love for the music can make you unable to see the effect it is having on you. Like Amy Winehouse for example. She is amazing and I love her voice and her words, but sometimes I wonder if it is really good for me to listen to it so much. my favorite line ,"And life is like a pipe, and I'm a tiny penny rollin' up the walls inside" makes me wonder if her influence keeps me where I am instead of helping me grow, change. -not like we have to take music so seriously, it's meant to de stress us, make us happy, make us get up and dance! I think the key here is to keep it fresh , listen to lots of different music. don't get in ruts like me where you repeat the same song over and over again on repeat.