Saturday, February 16, 2008

Wanting what you got.. Sheryl Crow style

That's me eating Swordfish in Cape Breton~!
Back home now after an amazing but long tour on the road with work... I'm exhausted but just had an unreal time
I'm so lucky... I just love what I do :)

I always find while traveling, It doesn't matter if it is international or just within the province I come back learning so much....
I find being away forces you out of your day to day normal routine so you are always learning new things, you get the opportunity to see different ways things are done, you meet new people, you have to adapt to things you're not use to, you get to try new things... It all adds up and when you finally make your glorious return home, you can't not be changed! I always love comming home and having that feeling!

anywaaaaay, This week comes with a rad soundtrack, check it.


I Posted this Track for a line she sings in the first verse...

"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got"

Think about that for a sec, it's a very advanced idea....

It's pretty much human nature to want what you don't have right?

Maybe it's that new shirt or jeans you see at your favorite clothing store, the newest Ipod touch, a trip down south, a set of 6pack abs, a new car, a nicer leather sofa, whatever.

Have you ever noticed people always talk about the stuff they want, but don't have?

"I saw this shirt in the mall, it was pimped, I want it... "
"I want to save up a bunch of money so I can buy a new sofa, a car, a big screen TV"
"I want a better job so I can make more money "
"I wish i had a girlfriend"

Have you ever thought like this? or said these type of statements to yourself?

Think about What this mode of thinking focuses on????
all the things YOU DESIRE, but DON'T HAVE...

Have you ever stopped to think, about what you have right now?
it's hard when you are constantly spending all your time on the things you want...
But In North American society, sadly that is exactly how we are programmed to think:
Bigger, Better, Faster, Newer.. leading to never being happy and always wanting more.

That laptop you bought new a month ago... sucks.
There is a newer faster better one out now,

that $200 pair of jeans you bought last year... they are old
There are cooler, more stylish nicer ones out now.

This is the mentality in North American Society. So naturally it makes it hard sometimes to just sit back and be happy with what you do have.

Stop for a minute and think How often do you hear somebody say:

I might not be wearing Versace but I am happy to have clothes to wear everyday...
You know what I don't have a 45inch plasma but I am so lucky I have a T.V that works
It is such a luxury that I can take a warm shower everyday,
Its amazing that I have fresh water to drink everyday, that I have access the the internet, that I have heat, and lights, etc...
I might not have the nicest car, but I am so happy that I have a form of transportation.

Not often. We just expect those things.

Take a look at this pic:


If you lived here would you want that new car, that new sofa, a nice sweater from Abrocrombie and Fitch?
or would you be happy just for some food and a place to sleep.?

This all hit me the other day while I was at the mall with my girfriend... there are ridiculous sales everywhere for winter clearance..so I saw this reaaaaaaaly nice sweater. It was marked down from 100+ dollars to $20. I was like 20 bucks? that's it..? man that is a no brainier, i have to get it, it's only 20$ whatever.

I was sold! and I almost bought it based on the great deal I was getting.
Then I was like wait... what is going on here? who cares about the price of the sweater do I even need another sweater? I have tons of clothes at home. I have at least 3 really nice sweaters and here I am about to buy another one? what for? how many sweaters do I really need???
I thought about what was going on and basically I was just there wanting to buy something because I didn't have it.
when I realized what was going on I got mad at myself... and thought Do I not appreciate my other sweaters enough to just be happy with them? they are all in great condition, fashionable, can I not just be thankful I have sweaters that i like, that are cool.

In the moment it was hard for me to understand this. To be able to sit back and say to myself, James, you have 3 money sweaters at home that you love, you can wear those sweaters till they are worn out.. instead of focusing on what you want, why don't you focus on what you already have.

It was all new to me because = I have never thought like this before, I ALWAYS subscribed to the never enough mentality, I would always focus on my wants which lead to me needing and wanting more.... this past weekend is when Irealized if I keep thinking like that I will NEVER be happy, because there is always going to be new things, better things, great sales that are going to create that "i want that" feeling inside of you...

It took me 24 years to figure out.

But surprisingly when you get to a point of wanting what you have, of actually wanting it and being thankful you have it, you will find there is so much more satisfaction than having all these wants and finally getting some of them.

attitude of gratitude Sheryl crow.

MEL

3 comments:

littlemaki said...

the most simple concept...... yet one of the most difficult things to accomplish in life.....

24 years, if you ask me, is amazing


Don't live you life by fear and greed (see below book for more info on this sentence: Rich Dad Poor Dad)

Attitude is gratitude

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

True, true, and true.

But what about this - Is a goal not a want? Is a dream not a want? They are right? They are both striving to achieve a want, while not a tangible want perhaps, but still a want.

I think it's not just about recognizing how much we want, it’s why we want what we want. Like you said, you didn’t need that sweater. I think many of us buy stuff because it is a good deal, but I also think that people now achieve a sense of fulfillment through material objects.

This is why I think it is important for people to travel, just like you said. It does make you realize that what you have is not that bad, and perhaps what you have is even better than you thought.

Think about not being able to communicate. You wouldn’t think you were so bad off then. You would be happy to have the ability to connect with someone through language. Trust me on this one.

Adios from Spain.

P.S. Keep ‘em coming