Monday, February 25, 2008

The ULTIMATE investment...


No soundtrack this week....
BUT Here I am rocking out at the Blue Rodeo concert on Saturday... everybody rushed the stage once the concert started so we ended up being FRONT ROW!
Fun times.

on to today's post,

After reading rich dad, poor dad I have been thinking a lot about investments these days

So I ask
What do you think the best investment for money is these days?
Stocks... bonds.. a new computer... a car...clothes, healthy food? what?
and keep in mind you don't need $100,000 to be investing! For the purposes of this post think of whatever you spend most of your money on these days as being your biggest investment.

So stop and think about this for a second...what are YOU investing your money in these days? where is your money going, what are you spending most of it on these days? write it down quickly if you can so you can actually see.

Now what about your time, which is even MORE valuable than your money... What is the best investment for Time?
education... a job... sports..... going downtown...reading, hiking, going to the gym, spending time with family, learning to cook What?

Again, just stop and think where you are spending/investing most of your time these days.. Write it down so you can actually see where it is going!

What did you come up with? what are you investing in? Did you think about what might be the best investments?

What is the best investment for our Money, what will give us the biggest gains over the long term? Is it to invest 10,000 into a stock which goes up 100% so we now have $20,000? that sounds pretty legit.

What about our time? What is the best investment for our time right now? playing Nintendo wii partying it up downtown, reading books at the library? What can get us the biggest gains later on down the road ?

Hold These thoughts.

This past week I have been really excited about the Power Within Seminar featuring Anthony Robbins. I've been talking about it non stop and encouraging everybody I know to get tickets and go! It's going to be deluxe



When talking to people to see what they thought and if they are going I have seen two totally different responses:

I'm totally down, I can't wait, I'm stoked see you there!!

or

Ya, that looks cool... those tickets are expensive though, I'm not going to spend that much money.

The tickets are expensive 169+tax a pop. So it made me think for a second why somebody would want to spend that much money on a conference... What type of people are attracted to an event like this that they would spend or should i say INVEST close to $200 of their money and INVEST a FULL DAY of their TIME to hear some somebody speak?

It's because they know the the ULTIMATE INVESTMENT is in THEMSELVES.
that is worth saying again.
THE ULTIMATE INVESTMENT IS IN YOURSELF.

I don't say this in a selfish way, you know what I mean!
Just spend some time working on yourself

Anytime you can invest your time and money to get better, to learn new skills, to increase the value of your own stock you are are making a kick ass investment.

Reading a book on a new topic to expand your knowledge...
Going to the gym and getting bigger faster and stronger...
Going to any type of class to learn new skills: cooking class, Real estate seminar, Tony Robbins workshop, university.

whaaaatever you are into.

All these types of investments will make you more valuable and pay dividends over your entire lifetime.

Invest now.

MEL

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying, but check out this website: http://www.metowe.org/about/me-to-we-philosophy.html. This philosopy might rock your world.

Anonymous said...

I like the notion of the me to we philosophy. I think, and mistake me if I'm wrong...... the philosophy can be summed up by encouraging others to give.

I don't think focusing on the " me" and investing in yourself by learning, growing and opening new doors is incongruent with this. I think by becoming the best person we can be we empower others to do the same unconsciously.

See below for a part of my favorite qoute in the whole wide world!!!

"...as we let our own light shine, we unconsciouly give other ppl permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fears our prescence automatically liberates others"

-Nelson Mandella


Now that to me....is giving....

Ashley said...

You're right. It's not incongruent.

I truly recommend reading the book. The website only scratches the surface.

The anecdotes in the book really shows you that investing in others can be the best way to invest in yourself.

And the quote is beautiful. I agree.