Monday, January 28, 2008

Don't follow the leader... Become the leader!


I absolutely love penguins so I'm glad I could incorporate this picture into this weeks post!

Are you a LEADER or a FOLLOWER?

Can you remember back in elementary school playing on the playground? There was probably one kid who everybody wanted to be like, who set the fashion trends, who decided what toys were cool to play with, decided what movie to see on the weekends...
everybody wanted to be like them....they were the leader. Everybody else was the follower.

Most people become a follower by default.
Think about it.

Growing up you think everybody is looking at you, judging you, making fun of you. There are so many different influences to deal with, your parents telling you one thing, your friends wanting you to do something different, then you have the T.V the movies, the magazines and you want to be like them.. all this adds up to insecurities, lack of confidence and just confusion.

All you want to do is whatever it takes to be liked and just fit in. If you have to buy the new 200$ nike air shocks you'll beg your mom for them. if you need to get a Gucci purse you'll save up all your babysitting money and buy it, if shaving your head is the cool thing, sign me up. Most people would just do whatever it takes to be "cool" to be "liked" to be "accepted"

So this is how we grow up... This is how we are conditioned, if you aren't born with these natural leadership qualities and you don't know what is cool, or what is fun you will always look at the people who you think have it figured out and FOLLOW them.

I use to be the biggest follower EVER. If you knew me 5 years ago you would agree... I was small, insecure, un confident, unhealthy, whatever. I always turned to others to see what was cool. I didn't make my own decisions. I got into drinking and drugs because i thought it would make me cool. i'd do stupid stuff for attention if i thought people would like me for it... basically I had none of my own values so I just adopted other peoples.
ugh.

The point is whether they admit it or not this is the reality for most people at some point in their lives...
So how do most people deal with it?
How did YOU deal with it?
Did you hang out with a natural leader, somebody who has confidence and feed off that person's energy to boost your own state?
Did you turn to drinking or drugs to gain confidence,
get a boyfriend or girlfriend to fill the void of your insecurities, or sleep around to get validation that people liked you??
It doesn't have to be that way.

I'm sure by this stage of your life you have seen enough of the world and developed a strong enough identity and had some experiences with leadership to build on.
You realize that people aren't looking at you all day long like you thought they did back in Jr. High. they are too busy looking at themselves. Nobody really gives a shit what your haircut looks like or what clothes you are wearing. They are too busy worrying about themselves and their own 99million problems.

So what you can do is keep building on these experiences to strengthen your skills.

Developing leadership skills is in my opinion is one of the most important qualities to develop in life. Always being a leader will give you a greater sense of control in your life and who doesn't want control of their life??
You will no longer be Dependant on looking up to somebody else to make your decisions or follow.
You are the leader.
You make the decisions.
You are in control.
You are responsible.

I think perhaps the biggest way to make a difference in your ability to lead is just getting in the habit of always making quick CONFIDENT decisions. Do that and you will see a substantial difference. Make a decision which way to go..right or wrong and just roll with it. If somebody comes to you with a question have an answer or a plan.

Just look at any leader, they ALWAYS have to have an answer or a plan. That is why they are the leader. Bill Belichick, head coach of the New England patriots playing in the Super bowl this Sunday has exactly 40 seconds in between each play to make a decision of what play to run next. He doesn't have 5 minutes, he has 40 seconds max, the play is executed and then he must move on to the next decision. bang, bang, bang his team looks to him to make these decisions which is why he is the leader. If the quarterback, Tom Brady suddenly calls an unexpected time out and has a question of what to do Bill Belichick doesn't have time to think about it, he has to have an answer or a strategy/plan of how to deal with it RIGHT AWAY .

You can practice this in your own life to develop these traits. Next time you are in line at Subway instead of sitting there thinking about what to get for 5 minutes, pretend you are a coach just pick one and roll with it. Next time you are renting a movie at blockbuster pick one up and roll with it. If your girlfriend asks what the plan is for the weekend and you haven't really thought about it, consider it an unexpected time out and just come up with one.
Right or wrong,
LEAD, LEAD, LEAD
by making a decision and rolling with it.
simple stuff. try it.

Now when making decisions that are a little more important than what sub to eat or which movie to watch here's a secret I was taught

Have VALUES and GOALS.
Values that are so strong that you will not break them or compromise them for anything. And goals that are so important to you that you will achieve them no matter what.
Having these two thing in place and working together makes things very easy. Its like having your own personal compass. Its deluxe. Whenever you are faced with a decision just input it into your compass and whatever course of action will lead you towards your goals and what you value is the decision you make.
Easy right? cool.

have fun!!!

MEL

ps. later this week I will be doing something I meant to do at the beginning of the month and posting my video goals for 2008 - the year of destiny.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey MEL,
i have been feeling really unsure about a lot of things in my life lately. and i feel completely stuck. i finally have some security in my life and i am rejecting it. it's like i felt more alive when i was struggling and now that i am secure i am bored.
Your post inspired me because it reminded me not to get lost in the shuffle. being a leader means taking responsiblity for your own life and making things happen. i don't have a lot of confidence, so your "making decisions fast" approach appeals to me because it takes away the ability to second guess yourself.
I also like that you say to know your own morals and goals and to stick with them. I grew up in a very strict family where we were told what to believe and what to follow. since i moved out all i have been doing is rejecting all those old values. I never started my own action plan, never took time to reflect on what i really do believe in.
You hit the nail right on the head when you posedthe questions, "Did you hang out with a natural leader, somebody who has confidence and feed off that person's energy to boost your own state?
Did you turn to drinking or drugs to gain confidence,
get a boyfriend or girlfriend to fill the void of your insecurities, or sleep around to get validation that people liked you?? " It was all a slap in the face to me because I do feed off natural leaders, I smoke pot to become careless and i definately rely on my boyfriend to fill the void.
Let's hang out soon. You are such a good influence ! I need the kind of support you offer.

Keep writing !

CHRISSIE

Ashley said...

Hey James,
I think whether or not someone is a leader or follower stems further back then the playground. Yes, school is a big way that children become socialized, but I think there's more to that. I think it stems from family values.
Do parents question why their children need $300 jeans or do they just hand over the cash?
It seems that we all have stopped asking the tough questions and we just go with the flow. I think this is very dangerous.
I agree that it is important to have individual values, but I also think that if the world was full of leaders, nothing would get done.
I don't think the answer is becoming a "natural leader", I think it has more to do with standing up for what you beleive in whether it's at school, at home or at work.
It helps to have a a strong social network - a group of people who believe in you. Growing up this can be hard. How do you know? It all stems back to the values that were instilled on you when you were young.
For people who didn't have this, yes, it is harder, but I have seen many people overcome poor upbringings to become extrememly successful, happy, satisfied human beings.
I think people need to recognize toxic relationships in their lives and have the confidence to leave these people behind. Despite your personality, values, beliefs or goals if you have people in your life that doubt your capabilities you aren't giving yourself a chance to succeed.